Re: How to compile kernel for i686 instead of i386?

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 10:36:56PM +0530, Mayuresh wrote:
> The `machine' command prints i386 on my machine, which is the architecture
> for which the kernel gets compiled, even though the processor is i686
> based.

Some aspect of this were also discussed on this thread:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2012/09/22/msg011483.html

Would specifically like to know, why i686 does not appear in `machine'
command's output. Does it depend on the kernel rather than the processor?

Is it appropriate to hack Makefile.i386 and change MACHINE=i686 in it?

Does the MACHINE variable affect only compiler options or anything else?

Mayuresh