Re: large disks

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 08:52:42AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:

> neoluddite%hushmail.com@localhost writes:
>
> > I recently upgraded to a 3TB hard disk and the 6.0_RC2 installer does
> > not recognize it even though the bios does.  Is there anything special
> > that must be done to use large hard disks?
>
> No, but my understanding is that disklabel only does 2T, and AFAIK the
> bootcode does not yet grasp GPT.

Well, there is bootcode for i386 and amd64 available that does, however
sysinst does not deal with partitioning via gpt yet (we did a Google
Summer of Code project and will probably integrate results soon after
-6 is released).

However, this does not explain why no disk is offered at all.

Could you boot the installer again, select the Utilities menu and select
"start /bin/sh"? Then do:

sysctl hw.disknames

and please report the results.

Thanks,