Re: git insists in using IPv6

Julio Merino <jmmv%NetBSD.org@localhost> wrote:

> I'm not sure if something changed in NetBSD to cause this, but I
> cannot longer "git clone" from some hosts because it insists on using
> IPv6 addresses and I don't have IPv6 support.  For example:
>
> $ git clone https://code.google.com/p/kyua/
> Cloning into 'kyua'...
> error: Failed to connect to 2607:f8b0:4004:801::1007: No route to host
> while accessing https://code.google.com/p/kyua/info/refs
> fatal: HTTP request failed

Is this only for git?  What about telnet to port 443 on code.google.com
or other IPv6 enabled hosts?

Are you sure your host does not have IPv6 support at all?  If you do
have a dual-stack enabled host, it will try to use IPv6 to connect to a
host with a AAAA record, even if IPv6 connectivity is broken.

It'd have to have an IPv6 address configured, though, for example via
SLAAC.  That is, if your networking equipment was recently updated to
enable IPv6 and assigns your host an IPv6 address despite not actually
routing it, you'd end up in this situation.

> $ uname -a
> NetBSD netbsd.meroh.net 6.99.10 NetBSD 6.99.10 (GENERIC) #0: Sat Aug
> 11 14:57:09 UTC 2012
> sysbuild@netbsd:/home/sysbuild/amd64/obj/home/sysbuild/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC
> amd64
>
> Any clues or workarounds?

Remove IPv6 support altogether from the kernel? Monkey around with
/etc/hosts? :-/  Or, if my somewhat far-fetched guess above holds, get
your network fixed. :-)

-Jan