changing default gateway via rc.d

If I change /etc/mygate, how can I make it take effect without
rebooting?

        /etc/rc.d/NETWORKING restart

doesn't do it.

The man page for rc says under "NETWORKING"

        "Ensure basic network services are running, including general
network configuration (network) and dhclient."

but the string "network", which seems to be explanatory, is not defined
on that page.  Routing is a basic network service, and mygate is a
general network configuration file, wouldn't you say?

I know route(8) will do the trick.  I get cold feet when putzing with
routing, and I prefer to know the system is running per the
configuration files, not ad hoc commands.

--jkl