Re: a few questions

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012, Julian Djamil Fagir wrote:

Thanks for the info. I will read it and wait till 6.0 is ready. I think
with my none exesting experience of NetBSD it's not wise to install a beta
version.

It's mainly a few bugs that are preventing release. If you don't encounter
one of these bugs, you should be fine with the beta as well.

Regards, Julian

I agree with Julian. The beta is okay. I installed it and also tested rebuilding the system. Also tested New Packet Filter, which is still a bit buggy but runs reliably and I have run nmap against it with satisfactory results for IPv4 and IPv6- more than IPFilter has done after all of these years.

I am still experimenting, but here is the simple setup that I chose for NetBSD with less space, and my selections for FreeBSD do not differ very much either- to address one of the original parameters of this thread:

/       660M    54% used
/tmp    135M    0% of tmpfs
/var    565M    8% used
/usr    29g     22% used
/home   127M    2% used
/private        5g      0% used

That is very basic and I am currently tweaking my thoughts with regards to /tmp and /var- specifically considering subpartioning var into /var/crash and the like. Also perhaps /usr/obj, /usr/pkgsrc, /usr/src, /usr/tools, and /usr/xsrc.

Darrel