toasted fan

Hi List,
I had some concerning experience this morning. My server disappeared from
the net and I wasn't able to restart it - it switched back off after some
error beeping. The culprit was a bad fan, processor overheated and the
whole thing hung up. It's all fine now, fan working, processor still alive,
filesystem ok.

My question - is there some smart method to make a controlled shutdown on
such events like high processor temperature or some stuck fan? Any
solutions, any ideas?

Thanks
herb langhans

--