Re: Login to serial port (not console)

Hi Thierry,

On 7/5/2012 7:47 AM, tlaronde%polynum.com@localhost wrote:
Replying to myself:

On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 12:56:26PM +0200, tlaronde%polynum.com@localhost wrote:

Putting on, say /dev/tty00, in /etc/ttys does not work, whether with
"Pc", "std.9600" or a custom entry in gettytab.

Correction this was "/dev/tty01" since I had already the console as
com0.

But resetting the console as "pc" at boot time, putting "on" the
/dev/tty00 line in /etc/ttys does work.

Is there a restriction so that it is not possible to have the console on
a serial line and _another_ login on a serial port? (This was not my
initial question; one is enough for my case, the console being on
/dev/ttyE0).

You can put logins on all the serial ports, if you choose.
(there are some consequences if you also want to be able to
dial *out* on a serial port, e.g., through a modem)

The same applies to the ttyE* devices (depending on how many
are supported in your kernel, configured, etc.)

E.g., I use different terminal types defined for each ttyE*
that do nothing more than change the *color* of the text
that is displayed.  (I find this makes it easy for me to
remember which login session I might be using for a particular
purpose -- e.g., "I am editting the disklabel on the RED screen
and running fdisk on the BLUE screen" -- so it is easier for me
to flip back and forth between them)

You can only have *one* "console" defined, though.