Re: need to disable IPv6

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 12:13:20PM +0300, Aleksey Cheusov wrote:

> The problem is a garbage in stderr produced by ftp(1) and some others

I see no garbage.  I see the same message all the Berkeley command-line
networking utilities have emitted for decades when they could not
connect to the first known address for a host with multiple addresses.

This is a useful diagnostic message.  Do not remove it.  NetBSD is not
Linux, nor is it DOS; it is BSD Unix, this is how the BSD tools have
always worked, and there is no reason to change it now.

> and that we don't have an easy way to disable ipv6 in NetBSD.

This I at least partly agree with.  I would like to see a way to
suppress the autoconfiguration of link-local v6 addresses on
interfaces; it greatly complicates firewall configuration and
the use of stacking interfaces like agr.  But there would then
need to be an explicit way to say "please do put a link-local
address on _this_ interface", and I think we don't have that either.

--
  Thor Lancelot Simon
tls%panix.com@localhost

  "We cannot usually in social life pursue a single value or a single moral
   aim, untroubled by the need to compromise with others."      - H.L.A. Hart