Re: NetBSD VPS in Europe

On 20/06/2012, Petri Laakso <petri.laakso%asd.fi@localhost> wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Jun 2012, Matthias Scheler wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 12:38:45PM +0300, Petri Laakso wrote:
>>> I'm looking for a VPS provider for NetBSD/Xen from Europe with
>>> modest minimum requirements of:
>>>
>>> - Able to run NetBSD/Xen
>>> - 256M of RAM
>>> - 10 GB of disk space
>>> - Reverse DNS
>>> - Price range around 10-20EUR/month
>>> - Sane SLA
>>>
>>> Have you any suggestions?
>
>> NetBSD 6.0_BETA2 and latest "netbsd-5" branch builds should support KVM
>> quite well including Virtio. Here are instructions for installing
>> NetBSD under KVM without support by the hosting provider:
>>
>> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2011/09/13/msg009128.html
>
> KVM + Virtio support really expands my options to choose the VPS provider,
> thank you for the information! Have to try it out on my personal computer
> first.
>
> Petri

I'm using the KVM Smart plan (256MB / 5GB / 1TB @ 3,99EUR/mo) in
Austria from http://en.edis.at/ for a couple of months now, with very
good uptime.  They even have NetBSD 5.1.2 ISO, both i386 and amd64, in
their boot menu, although I have only tried their initial Debian and
then OpenBSD so far, and both work great.

My only complaint regarding edis.at is regarding IPv6:

They embed IPv4 addresses into the IPv6 /112 that they give to you
(they give it to you as native static IPv6, but addresses are weird
and long, e.g. if you have been given 158.255.xx.xx as IPv4, then the
corresponding IPv6 might be 2a03:f80:ed15:158:255:xx:xx:0/112, and by
their design they supposedly offer no exceptions to this, blaming the
issue on the readily-available software solutions or lack thereof).

As a side note, their Austria location until recently used to have an
extra 15ms latency for IPv6 compared to IPv4 due to some transparent
tunnelling that they were using internally (due to the prior lack of
native IPv6 routing in Austria), but it seems like that has been
resolved as of now (and only a couple of weeks later than they
promised).

Otherwise, great price and great service, 1Gbps in Austria (I almost
always get between 10 MB/s and 14 MB/s from
http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test (14ms) with wget(1) on OpenBSD
5.0, don't recall how fast it was with Debian).

C.