Re: Maintaining alternative OS: emulator vs linux emulation layer

On Thu, Jun 07, 2012 at 10:45:08AM +0000, Pierre Pronchery wrote:
> > HP USB multifunction printer/scanner support:
> > http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2011/11/20/msg009600.html (I
> > feel hplip is written in quite Linux specific way. So not sure what's
> > the best way out.)
>
> Does your printer have an Ethernet port? If yes it might be easier to
> setup this way.

Mayuresh responded:

> Unfortunately no. It's Deskjet F380 - just in case anybody got this to
> work, or knows how to please do share.

I have HP LaserJet M1212nf MFP, and have not yet been able to get it to print,
either by USB or Ethernet.

In NetBSD, by Ethernet, it still can't find any devices (which was also true
with USB with both NetBSD and FreeBSD).

I could possibly check dmesg.boot and/or login to wireless router to try to
find printer URL when connected by Ethernet.

I wonder if the USB problems are due to the printer, due to hplip in Linux and
BSD, or due to hplip in BSD only.

I need to try with Linux.

In FreeBSD, hp-setup found the printer when connected by Ethernet, but was
unsuccessful installing the required binary plugin.

Tom