Re: MacPPC -- NetBSD compatible usb to rs-232 adapter

Hello,

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 21:54:29 -0400
Julio Merino <jmmv%NetBSD.org@localhost> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 12:35 PM, Adam Russell
> <ac.russell%live.com@localhost> wrote:
> > I am looking to run a headless MAcPPC NetBSD box.
> > In order for this to work I obviously will need a USB to rs-232 adapter.
> > What is the latest guidance on this? Going through the mailing list
> > archives I see particular brands recommended. The FTDI brand stands
> > out. Should I just buy one of these? Can anyone say if any generic
> > adapter will work or not? Any other recommendations?
>
> I have a CP-US-03 that works fine with my Mac Mini under NetBSD, and
> it also works on OS X under my Intel Macs.  That said: can you use
> this as a serial console on such machine?  I don't know, but if it's
> possible at all, I may give it a try!

Not likely to work as OF console but you can certainly run a getty on it.
That said, many (all?) uninorth macs still have serial port controllers,
they're just not wired to anything other than maybe an internal modem. For some
models you can buy the missing pieces ( 'stealth serial port' and such ) and
that would give you an OF ( and thus system- ) console.

have fun
Michael