Re: Right way to switch to python 2.7 default

Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost> writes:

> On Sun, Apr 08, 2012 at 04:15:53PM +0400, Aleksej Saushev wrote:
>> Those packages do not overlap (at least, usually):
>>
>> $ pkg_info -e "python*"
>> python26-2.6.7nb1
>> python25-2.5.6nb1
>> python27-2.7.2nb1

True, but py26-foo and py27-foo overlap for some values of foo.

> Ok. When trying to build pidgin, I got PLIST conflicts with I think
> py-cairo.
>
> Unfortunately I lost the error trace by now since I did pkg_delete for
> py26 version for whichever package gave me an error (and their
> dependencies) to go past the problem.

I find that switching python versions cannot be done easily.  What I do
is first build the new python itself (that's not super quick, but
py27-foo is usually quick if the underlying libraries are there) note
the packages that depend on python, pkg_delete -r all the python stuff,
and rebuild.  I only switch python versions every other year, it seems,
so this isn't so bad.