Re: _res in GNUMail

  I don't know which standards are used her,e but the fact that it runs
  on all other platforms I know of, is supspicious.

Perhaps, but NetBSD has a history of being much more careful about
standards, and in particular asserting in conditions where the standards
say the behavior is undefined.  E.g., it used to, by default, assert
when unlocking an unlocked mutex, but that became too painful because of
so much buggy code out there.

It's quite possible other systems accept res_init in a threaded program,
on theory that there is probably only one thread and it's likely ok.