Re: NetBSD 5.1.2 under Xen 4 HVM

On Fri, 9 Mar 2012, Chavdar Ivanov wrote:
I am repeating myself as of a few weeks ago - the best as far as
NetBSD under XenServer is concerned is to run it on PV mode with
XEN3_DOMU kernel. Of course you need to copy your kernel to
/boot/guest directory on the server and change the OS-boot-parameters
to "boot_verbose=1,vfs.root.mountfrom=ffs:/dev/xbd0s1a,kern.hz=100",
have the PV-kernel parameter set to the kernel (  xe vm-param-get
uuid=db74941f-2ccc-9c01-ecb2-bc2e26ffce19 param-name=PV-kernel returns
for me /boot/guest/netxen ).

No, you don't need go through the complexity of copying kernels to the dom0 as you can use pygrub to load the kernel from the domU's filesystem (only FFSv1 is supported, so watch out if using NetBSD 6 or -current).

http://wiki.precedence.co.uk/Support-KB-NetBSD/XenServer

Or download a .xva from:
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/XenServer/

When there is finally a NetBSD release with the required support in xennet, I'll update those .xva files.

--
Stephen