named - a very basic question

Hi List,
please give me some assistance to understand the function of named.

I get lots such queries on my server, like:
client 62.213.199.236#41159: query (cache) 'ticketeur.com/A/IN' denied
</1000s of them>

They are nicely put away in a separate logfile (thanks Niels!) and said
to cause no trouble.

Do I assume the function of named correctly with this explanation:

- some request from anywhere in the world asks my server (straight on my
  ip 123.5.5.5): 'Is the domain ticketeur.com on ip 123.5.5.5?'

- my server (or named) aswers: no - access denied, good bye.

Maybe I should collect the ip numbers from the logfiles and put them in
/etc/hosts.deny. But basically I am interested what goes on there.

Thanks for all input
herb langhans