Override the 16 chars username length

Hello everybody,
after some tweaking, I've been able to install a fully working Virtualmin on a
NetBSD-5 host. Everything is ok, except importing already existing domains from
a Debian Virtualmin installation.
The problem is that Virtualmin, on Debian, created long usernames while NetBSD
refuses to add users longer than 16 chars. On FreeBSD I was able to modify some
lines in the sources and solve the problem, is it also possible on NetBSD?
Where should I look?

Thank you,
Stefano