Re: Need printer recommendation

herbert langhans writes:
- On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 10:21:09AM -0600, Eric Schnoebelen wrote:
- > herbert langhans writes:
- > - A short question - what laser printer do you use with NetBSD? I would be
- > - very happy with a Cups-free solution. Maybe a network printer what
- > - connects by TCP/IP?
- >
- > I've been very happy with my ethernet connected postscript
- > capable Brother printers.
- >
- > The inexpensive black and white printer is a HL-5250DN, while the
- > more expensive color multi-function laser is a MFC-9840CDW.  Both
- > duplex as well (something I considered a key feature.)
-
- Hi Eric,
- the HL-5250DN is Postscript as well? I cannot find any reference
- to this model. Is this the one with the black/white case?

The case on mine is dark grey/silver, but I suppose that could be
identified as black/white.. :D I was using "black and white"
above to indicate it was monochrome/greyscale, and not color..

The HL-5250DN is Postscript capable (although Brother calls it
BRScript-3.)

It has been a couple of years since I bought the unit, at a
local office supply store, as I recall.
-
- I think Postscript printers are not that common recently. There
- were more around in the past, though more expensive..

Postscript printers have always been relatively rare, compared
to the likes of HPGL and other bitmap printers..  Fortunately,
there are numerous methods to handle generating bitmap images
for printing from postscript.

I seem to remember paying about US$250 for the HL-5250DN, but
that was several years ago.

I also have a little HP deskjet (purchased for US$29 at WalMart)
and an ethernet to USB adapter to connect it to my printing
network.  I use hplip3 (from pkgsrc/wip) to drive it via cups.

--
Eric Schnoebelen                eric%cirr.com@localhost
http://www.cirr.com