ftp filename globbing broken in auto-download mode?

I'm sure this worked in the past, but recently attempting to use the
ftp client in URL-style auto-download mode with a wildcard filespec:

  $ ftp*

Results in the following messages from the FTP server:

250 CWD command successful.
229 Entering Extended Passive Mode (|||60221|)
550 *: No such file or directory.

The behavior is the same on at least one other FTP server of interest
(  FWIW, wildcards/globs work fine when using
OpenBSD (and their version of the ftp client).