Re: Advice sought: which X11 for NetBSD 5.* (going forward) ??

On 09.09.2011 05:32, Mayuresh wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 09, 2011 at 04:39:36AM +0200, Jean-Yves Migeon wrote:
>>> A basic question: Why does such choice exist in NetBSD? What is the trade
>>> off for the users in choosing one over the other?
>>
>> I am not sure it's a matter of choice; the X server has always been a
>
> Isn't it? One has to _choose_ between native and modular?
>
> I got rest of your explanation. But at the end of it above, what I
> perceive as a choice, remains open.

Okay, there's a misunderstanding here -- by choice, I though you were
talking about a "design choice": e.g. why X.org is kept in tree rather
than moved to pkgsrc and cut out of src.

From a system's use, choice is not so evident indeed if you stay in x86
land. Typically I would expect both to be on par for features. The big
difference is that the modular pkgsrc version, as its name implies, is
"modular": only the necessary components gets built to satisfy
dependencies, whereas with the one from src you'll get everything like
done in the old days: xeyes, xcalc, ...

If you run the OS on exotic systems though, there's a good chance that
the X11 native will work, whereas X11 modular is only tested on
mainstream systems.

Personally I'd go with modular; I only keep my home desktop with native
X11 for testing.

--
Jean-Yves Migeon
jeanyves.migeon%free.fr@localhost