Re: rsync over ssh/nfs (was: server crashing)

On Aug 31, 2011, at 10:31 PM, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
>> [The "none" crypto algorithm from HPN uses SSH normal crypto to handle the
>> login,
>> but then doesn't encrypt the data stream once the session is established.
>> It's definitely not suitable for all purposes, but if you're willing to send
>> the
>> data over NFS in plaintext, then using this might be reasonable... ]
>
> Again, if you're willing to do *that* (or use rsync over NFS!) just use
> rsync's own
> protocol.  Why jam more layers in the middle?

If you want (or need [1]) SSH auth, but don't care about encrypting the data
itself.

But if there isn't a reason to make things more complicated, then your point
about
using rsync by itself is well-taken...

Regards,
--
-Chuck

[1] At least some of the CDNs I'm familiar with provide rsync-over-SSH for
    file access, and not native rsync auth.