Re: rsync over ssh/nfs (was: server crashing)

On 31 August 2011 20:19, Chuck Swiger <cswiger%mac.com@localhost> wrote:

> On Aug 31, 2011, at 10:54 AM, David Brownlee wrote:
> > As an aside I've found rsync over NFS substantially faster than over ssh
> for
> > large files on lowish (HP microserver amd64) spec boxes.
>
> Are you using SSH+HPN patches?  SSH by default doesn't buffer enough data
> to saturate a high bandwidth * delay connection; also, of course, the crypto
> overhead can cause you to be CPU bound.
>
>  http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/hpn-ssh/

This was between two boxes, each with 1.3Ghz Athlon II Neo N36L Dual-Core
CPUs, so not particularly powerful.

They were both into the same cheap gigabit switch. Now they are connected
across ADSL so transfer rate (across ssh) averages 90KB/s, so I wouldn't
have a chance to retry with the HPN patches. At first glance they would not
be relevant for a LAN?

Thanks