Re: Get a new server - NetBSD vs FreeBSD

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 3:32 PM, Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> wrote:

> Your question is fraught with perils, but one point to make is that even
> though the time between major releases (e.g., 5.0 to 6.0) is very long
> in NetBSD, one can track the stable branch (e.g., netbsd-5) and update
> along it with amazingly close to zero nasty surprises.   Thus you might
> not speedily get spiffy new features, but you'll be in very good shape
> for tracking security fixes.

x2

You can track netbsd-5 in any number of ways, including installing
from binary snapshots here:

ftp://nyftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-5/ (if you download an
iso from here, you might need to edit the path to the ftp site while
installing, practice makes perfect)

Or you can sync the source for netbsd-5 and build your own with the
incredible and unparalleled (in my experience anyway) build.sh in your
src directory.

NetBSD is not far behind on tracking bugs and security in netbsd-5 as
far as I know. You shouldn't wait for the next release to get them. In
my experience, tracking netbsd-5 is always stable.

Andy