Re: Why are drives called "wd0", "wd1", etc?

On 4 August 2011 12:35, Daniel Carrera <dcarrera%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> On 08/04/2011 01:24 PM, Julian H. Stacey wrote:

[snip]

> As it turns out, "man 4 wd" already explains everything. I just didn't know
> that you could look up things like that on man pages. I had it in my mind
> that man pages explain commands and possibly config files. I think this is
> just the normal learning curve for Unix. It's just the first time in my life
> that it occurred to me to ask why a device was named the way it is.

As a general rule of thumb if you want to learn something in unix (or
linux or *BSD), then 'man is your friend'

Generally 'man <something>'

If that doesn't work 'man -k <something>' for keyword search and 'man
-f <something>' to find things.

Saved my live a few times. :)

Cheers,

Ian