Re: NetBSD vs FreeBSD

Alex Goncharov wrote:
> ,--- You/Aleksej (Wed, 03 Aug 2011 11:47:27 +0400) ----*
> | Alex Goncharov <alex-goncharov%comcast.net@localhost> writes:
> | > In my experiments, FreeBSD proved to be an altogether better
> | > environment, with a superior developer support (just more people in
> | > the project, perhaps).
> |
> | I turned to NetBSD from FreeBSD just because of these reasons.
> | Given the number of people in project, FreeBSD has much worse performance
> | in my opinion.
>
> Curious, in what areas?
>
> | I have no other explanation why documentation and simple
> | one-line fixes have to sit in PR database for two years before being
> committed
> | (yes, it was exactly that what pissed me off the most around year 2007).
>
> I googled "Aleksej Saushev FreeBSD" hoping to hit a FreeBSD list with
> your PRs, just to see the areas and histories -- no easy hit.  Can you
> give me a pointer -- for my education, not to counter your points?
>
> -- Alex -- alex-goncharov%comcast.net@localhost --

Aside:
        This caught my eye 'cos I wondered if google was necessary
        for this, so I tried the FreeBSD send-pr web direct not via
        google (using my own name first as test case)

        http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr-summary.cgi
Tick:   "Closed reports too:"
Paste into Originator:  sau%inbox.ru@localhost
        Nothing

Paste into Originator:  Aleksej Saushev
2 entries
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr-summary.cgi?category=&severity=&priority=&class=&state=&sort=none&text=&responsible=&multitext=&originator=Aleksej+Saushev&closedtoo=on&release=

Maybe he may might have also filed more under a different email
name or with or without a middle initial (both variants make a
difference on searching with my name) Russian names also might be
changed to slightly different Latin font set representation by owner
after some years ?

PS I've had some PRs sit a Lot longer than 2 years in FreeBSD.  (
Not complaining though.  Our BSDs are volunteer efforts,
Our send-pr's are sent in hope of catching the eyes of commiters
who have other real life commitments too :-)

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below, not above;  Indent with "> ";  Cumulative like a play script.