What makes NetBSD special?

I hope that this question is not off topic in this list. I thought of writing on the netbsd-advocacy list, but that list appears to be mostly dead.

Anyway, I think I have a reasonable idea of how "BSD" compares with Linux, thanks to this great article:

So that's not what I'm here for. What I wish for is a comparison between NetBSD and other BSD's. In particular FreeBSD since that is the more popular one. I spent some time googling for a comparison, but I couldn't find anything with a lot of substance. Yes, I know that NetBSD runs on anything from a toaster upward and FreeBSD is supposed to be very fast. Neither of these is a major issue for me, I only have an x86 and my 2 year-old laptop is fast enough for me.

So, what I'm looking for is the difference in actual usage. For example, I spent this weekend running NetBSD and FreeBBSD under emulation. I noticed that I like NetBSD's "pkgin" much better than pkg_add; maybe it reminds me of apt-get. But FreeBSD has more packages. In particular, FreeBSD has Chromium which is my favourite browser, but presumably NetBSD will have it "soon" (it is currently in pkgsrc-wip).

Other than pkgin and chromium, I haven't yet seen much of a difference. I had to put in a similar amount of effort to get each one setup.

What I use my computer for:

 - Desktop / workstation.
 - Science (astrophysics): LaTeX, Perl, GCC, GFortran.
 - General: Gnome, Chromium, Thunderbird.

I think that covers me as a first-order approximation. So, for instance, I won't be interested in server features or deployment.

Based on this, do you have any thoughts to share about what makes NetBSD different from other BSDs?

Thanks for the help.

I'm not overweight, I'm undertall.