Re: Re (2): NetBSD documentation-hackathon from August 10th to August 14th

Hi John,

On 7/22/2011 9:57 AM, John Nemeth wrote:

}>  even regression tests. People tend to forget that their favorite distros
}>  isn't just "Linux" but a bunch of other stuff made around, and that it
}>  does not really match other operating systems also labelled as being Linux.
}
} Yes.  When I try to have a discussion with a client/customer and
} "Linux" comes up (as in, "Why should we use NetBSD?  Why can't we
} just use Linux?"), I rarely encounter anyone who understands how
} *little* "Linux" actually is -- yet how much it will influence the
} (e.g., licensing of their) product!
}
} Unfortunately, there is no simple, intuitive parallel to draw to
} the PC world that just rolls off your tongue.  Instead, you have
} to try to draw on parallels that migrate into the application
} domain (e.g., "OK, Bob, everyone in your organization runs Windows,
} right?  But, do they all use MSWord for their document preparation
} tool?  Or, do some folks use WordPerfect, FrameMaker, etc.?").
} Most people are savvy enough to realize that these *are* applications
} so the analogy fails to take hold in their mind.  There's nothing
} *big* enough (in that world) to put the issue into proper perspective.

      I typically use an automobile analogy.  I consider the kernel to
be the engine of an operating system.  Linux by itself is useless.  It
would be just like having a car engine sitting in the middle of your
garage floor (it doesn't even have a starter).  The distributions are
the vehicles (every variety from mopeds to Mac trucks; econobox to
luxoboat; manual transmission, automatic transmission; left-hand drive,
right-hand drive; etc., but they all have the same engine).

Ah, EXCELLENT!  I've been trying to find a PC-ish analogy to
relate.  And, thus, have been frustrated since so much of
the typical Windows user's experience is hidden under the
covers... they see the machine as:  hardware + windows (OS) +
applications.  I.e., they can clearly identify what's hardware
and what are "applications" (because they *bought* those
separately) so everything else is OS.

--don