Re: NetBSD documentation-hackathon from August 10th to August 14th

Hi,

On 20 July 2011 10:53, Julian Fagir <gnrp%komkon2.de@localhost> wrote:
> Despite for the content, the other great mess is the wiki. I know there was
> much work spent in it, but currently there is still no clean solution for
> user-generated documentation. One could take the possibility to do the
> missing work, and finally migrate contents from the old user wiki to the new
> official one.

You've failed to mention what it is people are supposed to do as part
of this, or the things which you think need doing.

I don't know how much of what you're proposing is wiki-centric, or if
it even matters, but see this thread:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2010/11/26/msg007175.html

My offer in that still stands, however, for a wiki, the barrier to
entry is so high in terms of needing OpenID, etc., as well as being
reliant on people with more power to setup the initial account, etc.,
that I all but stalled my efforts in frustration.  That's no one's
fault per se, but when you have a bottleneck of one person trying to
manage the wiki (schmonz), it's no wonder things are slow.

So that issue would need to be addressed somehow.  I don't mind a
restricted wiki; I see the benefits, etc., etc., but there has to be a
better way of speeding things up with the initial registration, etc.,
if you expect people to contribute.

As a final note, see the following for a start on what's happened to date:

http://wiki.netbsd.org/users/asau/

Just ignore the brash tone of the writing.  :P

I won't be at CCC, but can be on IRC.

-- Thomas Adam