X11 not starting

Dear NetBSD users,

I have a problem that I can only relate over hear-say, as I do not have the
actual machine. - A friend of mine has got an ancient Maxdata laptop, model
unknown, which should be around 10 years old. WinXP is running on it, 192 MB
RAM, 6 GB disk. We tried to replace Windows and installed NetBSD 5.1. It works
very well, but we had - and now that is the problem - NO chance to get X11
running.

Let me mention that this setup has been made from a tar backup that I created
from my own system, and it has been already working in numerous environments
(including, with some fighting, VirtualBox).

So, we did Xorg -configure and copied it over to /etc/X11/xorg.conf. When
trying to startx, it crashed, giving the message that no screens have been
found or that the driver has not enough memory for 1024x1024 (which is strange
- the laptop has 1024x768).

When replacing the driver from "siliconmotion" to "vesa", we get as far as
having a little white square cursor on the upper left corner of the screen and
then the complete NetBSD system freezes (you can even take out the harddisk, it
won't notice; and certainly, Ctrl-Alt-Backspace or even going back with
Ctrl-Alt-F2 do NOT work) and needs a hard reset.

In /etc/X11/xorg.conf, we tried deleting all Depth lines but one, and tried one
after the other with depth 16, 15 and 8, we set resolutions manually of
1024x768 and 800x600, we set some horizontal and vertical sync rate (guessed
from the net and the FreeBSD guide) - to no avail; either it crashes in a
civilized way (with the siliconmotion driver) or it freezes completely (with
the vesa driver).

(On a side note, I have noticed that I was unable to set a fixed resolution on
my "real" machine - when I say, I want 640x480, I do NOT get it - X11 again
starts in 1280x800, so I am not even certain whether setting the resolution in
xorg.conf even helps.)

I must say, I am unfortunately out of ideas. I know well, this is the laptop's
fault, not NetBSD's, but I would still be very grateful if you could give me
any pointers as to what to try next.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions and your help!

Kind regards,

Nino