Re: Looking for suggestions for small, low power machine

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 11:00:33PM +0300, Jukka Marin wrote:
> On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 05:43:15PM +0100, David Laight wrote:
> > On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 12:35:08PM +0300, Jukka Marin wrote:
> > >
> > > I got a 5501 box now - with zero documentation.  How do I make it boot
> > > from
> > > a CF card?  I installed NetBSD 5.1 on a CF, and did installboot but 5501
> > > does
> > > not boot from the card ("No Boot device available, enter monitor.").
> >
> > How far does the boot get ?
>
> Not very far, I'm now getting "Error Disk read" which comes from bootxx.
> I do have /boot on the CF.

Provided you've got out of pbr.S all the reads start as being by sector
number, but will be converted to CHS based on the geometry the bios
returns - so shouldn't be wrong.

sysctl machdep.diskinfo should report the values being used - if you have
managed to boot a kernel that knows about the disk.

Shame the error message doesn't contain the sector number.
There are some print functions available in bootxx.

        David

--
David Laight: david%l8s.co.uk@localhost