Re: Internal SATA controllers

On Sun, 1 May 2011 06:53:39 -0700 (PDT)
Paul Goyette <paul%whooppee.com@localhost> wrote:

> I have a system with not-enough SATA ports on the motherboard.  Since
> we don't currently support "port expanders", I'd like to add in a
> couple extra SATA ports.  Two additional ports is enough, although
> more ports would be preferred.  I don't need RAID, so not really
> looking to spend extra for it.
>
> I've found a couple of products on-line
>
> http://www.satasite.com/pci-express-sata-ii-raid-controller.htm
> http://www.startech.com/product/PEXSATA22I-2-Port-PCI-Express-Internal-SATA-Controller-Card
>
> But would like suggestions/recommendations from people who are
> actually using these (or similar) products.

I am using a Pluscom PCI card with two internal SATA connections and one
IDE connection. It has the VIA VT6421a chipset. Type "pluscom vt6421a
sata" at amazon for more information. It's very cheap so it might be
just what you need. It works fine in Linux but only the SATA connections
work in NetBSD. It probably has more to do with my lack of knowledge
about NetBSD than anything. To switch from the default external eSATA
port to the internal SATA ports I needed to change the jumpers on the
card.

I have just ordered a PCI-Express card at ebay with two internal SATA
and one IDE connection, this time based on the JMB363 chip. I am hoping
to get both SATA and IDE working in NetBSD with this one.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170484223902&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

It seems to have better OS support:

http://www.jmicron.com.tw/Product_JMB363.htm

--