Building PXE/XIP environment

Hi,

I need to be able to boot a "standalone" environment
for some applications (i.e., one the image is loaded,
there are no remaining dependencies on the "server"...
no nfs mounts, etc.).

Since this is probably an interactive/iterative process
(i.e., port some part of the system, determine any
dependencies that must be removed, remove them, lather,
rinse, repeat), I wonder if there is a straightforward
way to create a kernel+filesystem image and then "package"
this once it works properly.

Any pointers to guides that might facilitate this?

Thanks!
--don