Re: PCI-X vs sound card issues ...

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 10:42:59AM -0700, Chuck Swiger wrote:
|On Apr 17, 2011, at 10:41 PM, Malcolm Herbert wrote:
|> So ... I guess my question is this: What sound cards would work with
|> the 100MHz PCI-X bus and has anyone found these to work with NetBSD?
|
|Many PCI-X machines were designed with multiple busses-- one or more
|for higher-speed devices, and one for slower devices. If you've got a
|choice of slots, try other ones and see whether that helps. Especially
|if you can use a real PCI slot rather than putting the card into a
|PCI-X slot....

There is another set of slots but they are for half-height cards which
means the audigy won't fit with the case closed ... I was able to trial
it with the case open and some of the other hardware removed but I found
that whilst the NICs were affected with the first set of slots, the
half-height slots seem to be tied to the onboard SCSI controllers ...
making these run at 33MHz instead of 100MHz would have more of an impact
on the host, I felt ...

In the mean-time I recompiled a 5.1 kernel with more NMBCLUSTERS
specified and so far that seems to have allowed the host to function (at
least, we were able to rack it and talk to it remotely with the sound
card installed, although we haven't tested it completely yet)

So for the moment I'll see how I go with the host as-is ...

Thanks everyone for the inputo

Regards,
Malcolm

--
Malcolm Herbert                                This brain intentionally
mjch%mjch.net@localhost                                                left