Re: Videocard

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 10:35:42AM +0100, Adam Hoka wrote:

> > > I wish to buy a new dual-head videocard for my NetBSD installation
> > > and wish to know what chipset is best practice for using on NetBSD
> > > 5.1/amd64 and NetBSD-current. The main purpose is mplayer and simple
> > > terminal windows.
> > >
> > > Does anybody have an experience to share?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > I would advise against recentish Evergreen (ATI Radeon 58xx-59xx) chips.
> > Performance in 2D is abysmal under X.org, but that does not seem to be
> > NetBSD's specific (tested under Ubuntu months ago, and symptoms were the
> > same): full screen videos on a core i7 is about 1-2 frames/s, and flash
> > emulation simply does not work (Youtube's videos can't be played, plain
> > and simple). No DRI, last time I checked.
> >
> > Perhaps NVidia cards would fare better with nv(4), but I did not test
> > recent ones.
>
> I wouldnt recommend nvidia cards until we have nouveau(4), as nvidia stopped
> developing and supporting nv(4).
>
> maybe the best is a not-so-modern radeon, supported by readeonhd(4) ?

I have bought Radeon 4350 as advised a bit before. It works on 5.1_STABLE, but
no kernel DRI, no X Extensions are loaded. So mplayer runs 1-2 fps.

Kernel says:
vga0 at pci1 dev 0 function 0: vendor 0x1002 product 0x954f (rev. 0x00)
drm at vga0 not configured

I have read drm(4) manpage and found it will work only with agp(4) device,
but there is no agp on that bus.

Can someone clear for me few things:

Am I right understanding DRI as a thing, which make multimedia run smooth under
X?

Am I right understanding DRI will not work without drm(4) found on my video?

What should be done to dri or drm to work on Radeon 4350?

--
Sincerelly yours