Re: exFAT as the new "portable" filesystem?

from "Jasper Wallace" <jasper%pointless.net@localhost>:

> Not saber-rattling, you *will* need a licence to ship devices (or, in the
> US, code) that supports exFAT:

> http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/en/us/IntellectualProperty/IPLicensing/Programs/exFATFileSystem.aspx

> exfat is going to be a very real problem for open source operating
> systems...

> I've used ext2fs to move files between os's see this:

> http://pointless.net/blog/2009/09/22/maximally-compatible-ext2fs/

> But i don't know the state of the ext2 drivers for OS X and windows on the
> latest versions of OS X and windows, iirc it dosn't work anymore :(

Maybe I'd get about the same thing if I used newfs_ext2fs in NetBSD?

I don't really know if Linux could be made to work with UFS (BSD file system)
read-write, might be better to try on a nonboot partition.

There is still the possibility of xfs, which I see in pkgsrc and the FreeBSD
ports; xfsprogs is included in Linux Slackware.  Try on a USB stick, which I
could also try with a maximally compatible ext2fs.  Experiment before I use for
big data.

It seems exFAT is ruled out for open-source OSes.

Tom