Re: Understanding pf with FTP on IPv6

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 12:45:17 +0100, Rhialto <rhialto%falu.nl@localhost> wrote:
On Sat 20 Nov 2010 at 10:11:37 +0100, Philip Dodd wrote:
On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 21:43:05 +0200, Philip Dodd
<philip.dodd%free.fr@localhost> wrote:

>I am running a dual-stack host that I'm currently seeing a strange
>issue (or at least an issue I don't understand :) ) with outgoing
>(client) FTP connections over IPv6.
                                 ^^^^
>Basically my pf.conf contains a "block in all" at the start and a
                ^^^^^^^
>bunch of rules that allow some stuff to connect on regular ports
>inbound.

I recall reading on one of the netbsd lists that pf simply doesn't work
properly with IPv6. (Of course I didn't keep a reference, but google
``pf ipv6 site:netbsd.org'' gave me this:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/2010/05/27/msg013566.html).

I was planning to change from "old-fashioned" ipf to "modern" pf, but
when I read that, I just decided to forget about pf.

Hi,

Thanks to all who took the time to give me some pointers. It turns out, as I suspected, to be much, much dumber than something inherently wrong with IPv6. The packets getting dropped were not, in fact SA packets from the FTP, but neighbour sollicitation packets. At some point, although neighbour advertise was allowed in, I'd commented out the pass in neighboursol (I think I did it when I remove pass in routersol, which is genuinely not needed), so, in fact, I think the FTP was a red-herring.

The upside is I've now got some more useful logging configured on pflog, the downside is I get to look dumb in public. Some you win, some you lose :/

Thanks again to all for your time.

Best regards,

Phil