exFAT as the new "portable" filesystem?

Every once in a while the subject of "what filesystem do I use" when
sharing between multiple operating systems shows up on NetBSD lists,
so I'm hoping we can keep that going.

I had previously said that UDF was supposed to be the solution to this
problem, but I've found it very difficult to back that up. It's hard
to format a UDF filesystem on something other than optical media.

So I bought one of these new skinny Macs recently (not worth the $$ if
anyone wants my opinion) and noticed that one of the format options is
"ExFAT" aka exFAT.

I read the Wikipedia page on it, and it seems semi promising:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT

It might be yet another Microsoft closed filesystem, but if it's the
next "FAT" filesystem it might be the right answer for a portable
filesystem.

Anyone else have input? Is there any work in NetBSD to support it yet
(I haven't checked the code and I'm not in the kernel list, but I
don't see anything on Google).

Andy