Screenblank overactive

I have a problem with NetBSD 5.1_RC4, not new to this RC4, of screenblank
kicking in unwanted, after less than one minute of keyboard inactivity.  I have
screenblank=NO in /etc/rc.conf and would like to know what I need to do to get
screenblank to behave properly, or failing that, disable screenblank
completely.  This problem is not new to RC4.  I have to go to another virtual
terminal with Ctrl-Alt-F2, login as root (if not already logged in), and type
screenblank -u
without seeing anything on the screen.

Could this be related to my devious means of booting NetBSD, using a 30 MB
giant floppy image, ffsv1 file system, including netbsd kernel and made
bootable using installboot?  I boot into FreeDOS and boot this image using
grub4dos.  Since NetBSD 5.0.2, I get "Not a bootxx image" when trying to boot
NetBSD normally, even after using installboot.  Also, dosboot.com would hang
shortly into the boot, on the first line of screen output.

Tom