Saga of the installation of NetBSD on a Sparc 2

Folk,

I've not abandoned the project.  In fact I sacrificed a weekend
to stay at work and spent the afternoon of October 24 trying to
net install to the new disk on the SS2.  At the end of last
July the Debian server worked with no problems.  Now the SS2
reports no RARP response; it can't get its IP address.

root@dalton:~# ps aux | grep rarpd
root 2977  0.0  0.1   1672   272 ? Ss   Oct28   0:00 /usr/sbin/rarpd -e -v

Seems right.  I wonder whether the rarpd or a security feature
has changed in the numerous updates of Debian since July.
Unfortunately netbooting NetBSD from Debian isn't commonplace
and I can't expect anyone to duplicate my observation.

Would be helpful to confirm that RARP works on localhost.  Is
this possible in Linux?

Thanks,          ... Peter E.
--
Telephone 1 360 450 2132.  7785886232 is gone.
Shop pages http://carnot.yi.org/ accessible as long as the old