Compile and Install from Linux-source

Hi List,
it may sound trivial, but I am not quite sure, how to install a Linux
application from the source code.

Mainly I would need a hint in what directories I have to untar the source.

And then I use make config and make install? Does NetBSD know that these
files will install in /usr/pkg/emul/linux ?

Another issue is Opera 10.63 - I have the already compiled package from
the Opera website here. But what directory are these files supposed to
end up? What to tell the installation program?

I have a rather clean NetBSD environment here, applications are all
installed as binaries by pkg_add - I dont want to spoil the file
hierarchy and scatter Linux applications blindly in there.

Linux emulation is installed, I already have the (outdated) Opera 9.64
running.

How do you do this? All input and ideas welcome!
Thanks,
herb langhans

--
sprachtraining langhans