Re: 5.1 release?

From "Greg Troxel" <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost>:

> Yes, I meant get all of src and xsrc via cvs, and rebuild everything.

 > You say "overlay the binaries".  Does that mean just copy over?

> It means put a new kernel and userland binaries in place.  This is
> slightly tricky, which is why I put it a script and commented it.

> > There
> > might be some files whose name will have changed, and some that are
> > being dropped.

> Read the scripts I pointed you to :-) Not everything is handled, but it
> works well enough for most uses.

> > You say tracking netbsd-5 is perfectly ok, does that mean it's safer
> > than tracking netbsd-current?  One feature that might attract me to
> > netbsd-current is improved support of Linux ext2fs.  I suppose I could
> > download and install netbsd-current to a USB stick, but don't want to
> > keep updating on USB stick: too slow on my system.  But I'd see if it
> > can read my Linux ext2fs partitions.

> Yes, it's much safer than current.

You mentioned sysutils/etcmanage, are those the scripts you refer to?

I checked the description, which says this packages updates /etc but says
nothing about the whole userland.

I guess I need to download the package and see what's in it?

How much disk space does it take to rebuild the whole system?  When I get that
new computer I've been planning on, I'll have much more disk space as well as
much more RAM.

Main purpose in downloading and installing NetBSD-current would be to see how
it does with Linux ext2fs.  But I could also see how/if it boots, though this
would be through PLoP boot manager (http://www.plop.at/), since my old system
doesn't support booting from USB directly.

Tom