Re: unionfs and kernel core dumps

On Fri, Jul 02, 2010 at 10:31:48PM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 02, 2010 at 10:42:18PM +0000, Taylor R Campbell wrote:
> > (I am not subscribed to this list, so please cc me in replies.)
> >
> > I would like to use unionfs for various purposes.
>
> Good luck.  Have you noticed some of the oddities about file and
> directory search and creation yet?
>
> The original Ficus paper described unionfs as not-ready-for-prime-time,
> the DMFS paper describing the fixes that made our stacking filesystems
> work at all said the same thing, and it's basically still true today.

Having tried basing a live-cd on unionfs I can only agree. Don't use it
for anything serious, it'll just burn your time. It sounds great, but
there's a big list of problems. Andrew Doran, Iirc, was once sending
around a compilation of things that need to be solved so it could at
least be considered less experimental. That was a couple years ago. It's
not been resolved since.

Regards,

-Martin