Re: xorg vt switching on thinkpad x41

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 13:05:31 -0400, Jan Schaumann wrote:
>Steven Bellovin <smb%cs.columbia.edu@localhost> wrote:
>
>> Is X still running?
>
>Yes.
>
>It shows a few error messages/warnings:
>
>(EE) [drm] drmOpen failed.
>(EE) intel(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed.Disabling DRI.
>(EE) intel(0): underrun on pipe B!
>(EE) intel(0): underrun on pipe B!
>(EE) intel(0): underrun on pipe B!
>(EE) intel(0): underrun on pipe B!
>(EE) intel(0): underrun on pipe B!
>
>I can Ctrl+C it from the console (where I ran startx), kill it normally
>or even Ctrl+Alt+Backspace kill it.

This sounds related to something I PRed a while back:
http://gnats.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=40953

In summary, with the NetBSD release you're using, you could try this
in your X.org configuration file:

 Section "Device"
        Option  "ForceEnablePipeA"      "true"
 EndSection

If you switch to the forthcoming 5.1 release, you'll find that no
longer works (the version of X.org is newer) -- assuming your cause is
the same.  In that case, what will fix it is enabling DRM (which would
presumably also work for 5.0.2).

Regards,

Dave