Re: sql api for ufs

On Sat 12 Jun 2010 at 10:09:01 PM +1000, Carl Brewer wrote:
>On 11/06/2010 8:07 AM, George Georgalis wrote:
>>On Thu 10 Jun 2010 at 03:12:04 AM -0700, George Georgalis wrote:
>>>The last thing I want to do is reinvent filesystem
>>>manipulation. I don't even want to do anything fancy with the
>>>db implementation. The goal here is to do rapid queries of data
>>>that may not be online, or off in some http protocol that doesn't
>>>accommodate good bandwidth or seek ability.
>>
>>...a glorious extension of the locate command, which has tools to
>>generate commands to manupalate the filesystem (local/remote) and
>>transfer over various protocols/auth. For the purpose of archiving
>>and indexing media across multiple devices.
>
>Sounds a tiny bit like "Pick"
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pick_operating_system

Thanks for the link. Seems there are several "learn from their
mistakes" scenarios I can choose from. Main thing is I want the
stability of the existing filesystem (whichever), while adding
a new access mode on top of it. If the application ever did
operations on regular fs data it would go through the regular fs
calls.

It is why I like the virtual tables solution (db records link
to stat calls), the critical data is never duplicated accept for
optimization indices and it is a path that can produce a working
application for requirement testing before an optimal application
is developed.

-George