Re: mount -ur doesn't work on NetBSD 5.0.2

Juergen Hannken-Illjes wrote:
On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 12:46:34PM +0200, Michael Felke wrote:
Hello,

we started to setup a new release of our netbsd server with NetBSD 5.0.2 in stead of 4.0.1, as we have done last time. Everything went well, until we tried to lock our root partion with "mount -ur /" again, after making it writeable with "mount -uw /". Mount_ffs always complains that the operation is not supported, but we are using it since NetBSD 2.0, our first NetBSD based server. Forcing it work with "mount -urf /" doesn't work also. We couldn't find something about a change of the ffs's option update behavior in the release notes of NetBSD 5.0.x. Is this an indented change made to the GERNERIC kernel, then we need some help how to deactivate this new feature, or is it a bug, so must perhaps change back to 4.0.1.
The server is build on a i386 system and uses the raid device in level 1.

sincerely
Michael Felke

R/W to R/O downgrade has been disabled.  Please see

  PR kern/30525 remounting ffs read-only (mount -ur) does not sync metadata

Removing revision 1.373 of sys/kern/vfs_syscalls.c should re-enable the old
(and risky) behaviour.

Thank you for the quick answer and the warning, we will take it seriously. But is this only a problem of ffs or does it arise with other file system, too?
Maybe it's save to use it with lfs as a root partition?

sincerely
Michael Felke