Re: build netbsd5 fail

On 25 Apr 2010, at 22:08, Greg Kerr wrote:
> 1.) CVS checkout (have deleted; cvs -q update -dCP'd a few times)
> $ more CVS/Root

Well, those options will give you NetBSD/current not a "netbsd-5" source tree.
Please try this:

cd src
cvs -d -A -P -d -rnetbsd-5
> 2.) i386
> 3.) Have tried:
> ./ -U build (with and without -u)

That works for me. Have you tried to remove your object and destination

> sudo ./

That's not necessary, unprivileged builds work fine.

> ... and
> BSDSRCDIR=/usr/src/stable/src
> BSDOBJDIR=/usr/obj/build/netbsd-5
> RELEASEDIR=/usr/obj/release/netbsd-5
> DESTDIR=/usr/obj/dest/netbsd-5
> TOOLDIR=/usr/obj/tools/netbsd-5
> MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/usr/obj/make/netbsd-5
> make -j 2

That's clearly not a good idea.

> 4.) No MKxxx variables in /etc/mk.conf
> # Some may be legacy - have been using NetBSD for 10+ years
> HOST_CFLAGS += -O2 -march=pentium-m -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -s
> CPUFLAGS += -O2 -march=pentium-m -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -s

Please get rid of all of those. NetBSD's build system uses appropriate
for the build. And they differ for parts of the source tree. Blindly overriding
the like this is a bad idea.

You could use install "pkgsrc/devel/cpuflags" and use this ...

CPU_FLAGS= -march=pentium-m
.sinclude "/usr/pkg/share/mk/"

... but I seriously doubt that there will be any measurable performance gains.

        Kind regards

Matthias Scheler