Re: uid/gid & network file systems?

On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 03:22:33PM -0500, David Young wrote:
> What are "best practices" these days for coordinating and/or mapping
> UID/GID across NetBSD hosts that may mount each other's filesystems
> using psshfs or nfs?

Well, at the moment I'm just coordinating real-user's passwd
entries manually.  I've used Hesiod in the past for this
(well, for AFS actually, but that's almost the same thing as NFS)
but I found it to be unnecesary for the one UID I actually
care about.

So, the answer to your question may depend on these questions:
How many machines?  How many users?
And what kind of turnover rate on those?.

Also, does psshfs even have uid/gid abilities?  I've been
using it by connecting as my mortal self to the remote machine,
which I assume means I can't chown(1) anything anyway.

        Jonathan Kollasch