Re: Fix the Guide (Re: Recovering from botched update?)

On Jun 16,  5:41pm, Aleksej Saushev wrote:
} jnemeth%victoria.tc.ca@localhost (John Nemeth) writes:
} > On Jun 16, 10:25am, Aleksej Saushev wrote:
} > } David Chanters <david.chanters%googlemail.com@localhost> writes:
} > }
} > } > So I decided in my infinite wisdom to follow the following guide:
} > } >
} > } > http://www.NetBSD.org/docs/guide/en/chap-updating.html
} > } >
} > } > Following section "33.1.5" the first problem I noticed was the
} > } > instructions don't tell you to build anything in tools, which meant I
} > } > couldn't compile anything anyway -- this ought to be fixed, I think?
} >
} >      "tools" is automatically built.  Could you be more specific about
} > what happened (i.e. show output)?
}
} It didn't work for me and I don't notice they're built automatically.
} In other words, I am forced to build tools first.

     My tests fail when I don't specify -T.  Whether or not I specify
tools doesn't seem to make a difference.  Others have noted that specifying
tools isn't necessary.

} > } Note "-U" repetition. This suggests that we should make it default.
} >
} >      Possibly.
}
} Any obvious issues with this except forcing old users to reconsider
} their scripts?

     None that comes to mind, but it would have to be thorougly
tested.  Making it the default and simply ignoring it when it is
specified shouldn't cause old scripts to have to be changed.  However,
there may be some reason for not making it the default, others will
have to way in on that.

} >      Another significant error is that the chapter claims to be
} > suitable for NetBSD-current.  However, for NetBSD-current, if you are
} > using the i386 GENERIC kernel then you must install the modules before
} > the first reboot, or the system won't boot.  I (or somebody) will have
} > to think about the instructions for this, test them, and update the
} > chapter accordingly.
}
} Yes, I've forgotten about it.
}
} Another problem to deal with is updating bootstrap loader,
} this does matter for users updating from 5.0 to CURRENT.

     Good point.

}-- End of excerpt from Aleksej Saushev