Re: Recovering from botched update? (NetBSD guide feedback also!)

David Chanters <david.chanters%googlemail.com@localhost> writes:

> On 24/01/2010, Aleksej Saushev <asau%inbox.ru@localhost> wrote:
>>
>> Fetch sets corresponding to your kernel (or before it)
>> and unpack them over your system, the base set is essential:
>>
>> su root -c 'cd / && /rescue/pax -zrpe -f /some/path/base.tgz'
>>
>> Unpack other sets except etc.tgz similarly.
>
> This is all very useful information, thank you.  But I can't do
> anything now -- I couldn't type in any of the suggestions from others
> in this thread because I kept getting core dumps.  Oops.  Similarly,
> trying to reboot my machine and drop into single-user mode, resulted
> in the following:
>
> root file system type: ffs
> panic: init died (signal 0, exit 1)
> fatal breakpoint trap in supervisor mode
> trap type 1 code 0 eip c053d1bc cs 8 eflags 246 cr2 bbbec03c ilevel 0
> Stopped in pid 1.1 (init) at netbsd:breakpoint+0x4: popl %ebp
> db{0}>
>
> ... which isn't good.  Is there a way to recover from this?

Oh, well... I'm afraid this may be hard.

If you have backup kernel there, you'd better try booting it
in maintainance mode and use /rescue/sh as your shell.
If you don't have backup kernel there, boot installation CD
and use its kernel and other sets.

--
HE CE3OH...