Re: Dependency hell, again

On Fri, 8 Jan 2010, Greg Troxel wrote:

Building with just the default options seems good enough, as long as they are sane.

Huh?  I thought you were arguing that there should be binary packages
prebuilt with various options, such as dasher with and without gnome.

Not me, that would be too much trouble for too little benefit. Just add options and I'm happy to type "make" myself.

'sane' is not a useful word.

That's a different discussion, but I wanted to hint that picking default options could be done well ("what would 95% of users want?", like you said) or poorly ("might as well enable everything" (or nothing)) without going into a whole new rant.

MAgnus