Re: Netgear FA411

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 12:01:43 +0100
Helge Muehlmeier <H_Muehlmeier%gmx.de@localhost> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 02:10:38PM -0800, Tim Howe wrote:
> > I have a Netgear FA411 pcmcia ethernet card.
>
> It would be nice to know what chipset is in that card...

        I have as yet been unable to find this information.  I will
keep looking.

> > When NetBSD (5.0.1) boots, it says:
>
> Is the system installed or do you try to install the system by using
> that card?

        I installed the system from CD.

> > ne1 at pcmcia1 function 0: <NETGEAR, FA411m Fast Ethernet>
> > ne2: where did the card go?
>
> How many ethernet cards do you have? More than one?

        Just one, they should both say ne2.  That was a typing mistake
by me.

> Is it possible to send your dmesg and kernel-massages (tail -f
> /var/log/messages) if you attach that pcmcia card?

        No, but I can try to get that information off of that machine
via some other method.  Where would I email them to in that case?

> > The man page says that this means "The driver found the card, but was unable
> > to make the card respond to complete the configuration sequence".
> >
> > I am confident that the card works, as I have been using it in OpenBSD.
> >
> > I found an email from 2001 that suggests the card is supported:
> > http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2001/09/18/0010.html
>
> Hm... There was asked about FA411... Not FA411m... Maybe that card have
> an other chipset?!

        It's possible.  I also found this PR:
http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=19994  which
suggests the card mostly worked with a few caveats.

        I am going to replace the card so that I can use this old
machine.  I would be willing to send this card to a developer if they
wanted to play with it.

--TimH